Sunday Worship Services
During the Program Year (between Labor Day and early June), we have two Sunday services:
- 9:00 a.m. service – The 9:00 a.m. service is smaller and quieter, but often includes interactive dialogue during the Introduction to the Theme.
- 10:30 a.m. service – Although they are certainly welcome at our earlier service, families with children usually attend our 10:30 a.m. service when we have Sunday school and nursery provisions. At this service, the children usually worship with their parents in the Meeting House for the first 10-15 minutes of the service. They then come forward for Rev. Tanya’s time with the children. The congregation then blesses them, and they depart for continued worship and learning downstairs.
During the summer months (mid-June through Labor Day), we have a single service at 9:30 a.m. At present, during the summer, we have toys available and an audio feed of the service in Emerson Chapel for parents and small children, but no Sunday school or attended nursery provision.
Sunday worship services are familiar and fairly traditional, consisting of hymns, liturgy and prayers, anthems, scripture and sermon, offering and fellowship. They typically last 60-70 minutes. We celebrate Holy Communion on the first Sunday of the month, where we serve gluten-free bread and grape juice to all who wish to receive the sacrament.
Other Worship Services
In addition to our regular Sunday worship services, we have Lenten and Christmas worship services:
- Ash Wednesday – 9:00 a.m.
- Maunday Thursday – 7:30 p.m.
- Easter Sunday Sunrise Service – 6:15 a.m. (this is in addition to the 9:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Easter Sunday worship services)
- Christmas Eve – 4:00 p.m. (family service with focus on celebrating Jesus’ birth with narrative and music appropriate to our community’s youngest members), 7:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.
Children and Youth Programs
We know how precious your child is—to you, to God, and to our church! And we want them and you to know it. During the 10:30 a.m. worship service throughout the Program Year, we offer programs for babies and toddlers through teens:
- A fully-furnished Nursery with trained attendants welcomes babies and toddlers
- Sunday School classes for children age 4 through 6th grade with trained and enthusiastic volunteer leaders who provide a caring, accepting atmosphere where the children learn about the Bible and the principles of Christian faith
- Journey to Confirmation program led by experienced and excited adult teachers where students in grades 7-9 delve more deeply into their faith. Confirmation classes meet on scheduled Sundays during the 10:30 a.m. church service throughout the Program Year (not every Sunday). Schedule provided to participants.
From Sunday School classes through Confirmation, programs are designed with age-appropriate materials and activities with both learning and fun in mind. The programs also provide many service opportunities, from making dog beds for animal shelters to making pumpkin pies to go in the Thanksgiving food boxes given to local needy families. In addition, Confirmation students participate in several field trips throughout the Program Year, complete in-church and out-of-church service projects, and assist with Sunday School lessons.
What To Wear
We welcome you as you are! We don’t have a dress code; some people wear jeans and others wear suits—but ‘office casual’ probably describes what most people wear.
The Congregational Church of Hollis is handicapped accessible. There is an elevator at the center entrance that provides access to all levels of the building. You can be dropped off at the paved apron at the front of the driveway, and continue up the pavement toward the Meeting House. Enter at the double-doors near the granite bench at the center of the church. Please park either in the handicapped spots on the street, or in the parking lot at the back of the church.
How to Find Us
The Congregational Church of Hollis is located at the center of Hollis, at 3 Monument Square.
There are several places you might park when you arrive: there is a parking lot between the church and the Hollis Social Library; there is on-street parking all around Monument Square; and when these areas are filled, we own the small field adjacent to Valicenti’s (across Monument Square from the church) and overflow cars will occasionally park there — please just be sure not to block the driveway, which is private.
Where to Enter
The main entrance to Meeting House, up the stairs on Monument Square, allows you to enter at the rear of the sanctuary. The handicapped-accessible entrance, to the left side of the main entrance, accommodates wheelchairs and walkers. You can be dropped off in the small paved apron on the right side of the driveway at the front of the church. Continue up the pavement to the double doors, which open to our elevator: this takes you up to the Meeting House (turn right out of the elevator and travel up the ramp, which brings you into the front of the Meeting House), or down to Hardy Hall.
Or the side entrance, next to the Hollis Social Library. Go up the stairs and straight ahead, following the corridor around to the Meeting House — you’ll enter at the front of the sanctuary.
Except during the summer, the church administrative staff, Eileen Widner and/or Sue Adams, is available during church office hours, Tuesday through Friday mornings from 8:00 a.m. – noon. Summer church office hours (1st Monday in June through mid-August) are only on Thursday and Friday mornings from 8:00 a.m. – noon. They can also be reached by email at email@example.com or Sue@hollischurch.org.
Reverend Tanya is available for drop in office hours on Tuesdays from noon – 2:00 p.m. Other days and times are available by appointment. She can also be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.