Welcome to the Building our Vision Renovation Website!!
We are glad that you joined us.
Special Congregational Meeting and Vote – 11:45 AM Meetinghouse
Absentee Ballots will be available
ONE BIG STEP CLOSER TO LIVING OUR VISION
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)
Our renovation begins soon and we will be on our way to living out our Strategic Plan. As we explained in the Information Session in January and at the Annual Meeting, BoV has examined plans at different price points and how they address our Strategic Plan as well as life and fire safety compliance. We have prayerfully considered each variation.
BoV unanimously voted to recommend a plan that includes substantial renovation of the kitchen and Hardy Hall, creation of the new patio and amphitheater, circulation improvements throughout by eliminating the bottleneck entry to Hardy Hall and turning the stairs next to the elevator, enabling a new ADA-compliant bathroom. This option is fully compliant with fire and life safety codes, addresses deferred maintenance and takes large steps toward Living our Vision while only requiring a limited amount of incremental funding. The project cost is $1.9 million. If additional funds become available within the giving period, this recommendation also gives us the flexibility to deliver additional features through chancel and lobby options that are easily added to the plan. A list of specifics is attached.
It is our sincere hope that the congregation will support this recommendation. If the sense of the congregation, however, is to remain within the level of funds already committed, BoV will be able to pull out certain elements such as the ADA-compliant bathroom and flow improvements, and some deferred maintenance items to reduce the project cost to the $1.7 million already raised. However, BoV feels that this would be sacrificing too much of our congregationally-discerned vision so that we risk short-changing our church’s future for the sake of minimizing the cost to ourselves. We believe God calls us to do bold things; things that challenge our faith and help us to deepen our commitments to God’s purposes.
It is now time for all of us to ask ourselves what we believe God is calling us to do. It is our hope that you will support BoV’s recommendation on March 22nd. We are excited to get this project underway and to begin fulfilling our Strategic Plan in our new facility!
based on BoV recommendation and corresponding
Strategic Plan goal met
RECOMMENDED OPTION COST: $1.9 Million
- Donations committed thus far total $1.7 million.
- Donations received thus far total over $1 million.
POTENTIAL SOURCES OF INCREMENTAL FUNDING:
- Two grants: $20K – $150K+
- Potential challenge fund by members (if we are able to add Lobby at later date): $100K
- Community Outreach – Boy Scouts, Woman’s Club, Rotary, Community Lead Givers
- Events – Groundbreaking, sneak peak, ribbon cutting open house
- Potential use of church assets (if approved by congregation): up to $200K
- Contingency funds: Option costs include all costs directly related to the project including fundraising, banking fees etc. and, most importantly, funds allocated for unexpected contingencies during construction. (Note that some but not all Furnishings, Fixtures and Equipment (FF&E) are included; FF&E costs for the Kitchen are included, but for other areas our needs are not yet well defined.) For the recommended option the owner’s contingency fund alone is over $135K. If not needed for unforeseen problems during construction, these contingency funds would be a source of additional money as the project nears completion
Please contact BoV@HollisChurch.org if you have any questions.
BOV Information Session March 8, 2020
The Building Our Vision committee held an information session discussing their unanimous recommendation for the planned church renovation. Sarah May led the presentation and Q&A, covering how and why they came to their recommendation, what is included and what is not included in the recommendation, fund raising levels, potential sources of incremental funding, and bridge financing during construction. Thanks to all who participated!