Pictures of Current Safety Issues
Young families have to walk through busy parking lot with moving vehicles
Children’s fire exit leads into parking lot
Exits out of Hardy Hall are steep, narrow, dangerous and fill with ice and snow
Entrance into Hardy Hall is a bottleneck
Administrative staff has no visibility to see who is entering building during the week
List of Safety Issues Addressed With Proposed Plans
- Exit and staircase going directly from back east side of Sanctuary to Hardy Hall as for an additional emergency exit from Sanctuary
- Drop-off half-circle driveway to reduce need to walk through busy parking lot and all for closer drop-off for those that are handicapped or have mobility issues
- One main entry so Administrative staff have visibility to everyone entering the church during the weekdays.
- Nursery moved upstairs, closer to their parents
- All exits out of Hardy Hall are to grade; no stairs as emergency exits.
- Corridor and entryway into Hardy Hall widened to eliminate bottleneck.
Plans Showing Proposed Changes to Address Safety Issues
Being able to drive up as a family and drop your kids off without having to pull into the current parking lot and then walk across a busy parking area where other cars are dropping off would be a very safe change to the flow of Sunday mornings.
The exits and steps at both sides of Hardy Hall are very dangerous. If we had handicapped people [in Hardy Hall] there is no way we could get them out quickly in case of an emergency.
With the new renovations we make it easier for people to get in and out of the sanctuary.
We should fix downstairs. The Hardy Hall entrance is a nightmare. It is not safe.
Fire Chief Rick Towne
Right now, Hardy Hall is below grade and doesn’t meet code for egress. By opening up the east wall, it brings it to grade and avoids the costly sprinkler system that would have to be put in if you were to going to keep it below grade. It will meet fire code and life safety code and it will accommodate all the church and community events that assemble in Hardy Hall.
For the past 20 years that I have worked in the office, I have never known who is coming in and out of church. It is a safety and building security issue. By adding the lobby and having the office staff be in a place where we can see everyone coming, we know who is coming in and out of the church.
It’s always bothered me that the nursery has been downstairs. In an emergency it would be very difficult to get those children out safely.
The two exterior stairwells currently serve as emergency exits from Hardy Hall – but they are a safety hazard. The stairs are steep, uneven, shallow, and not easy to navigate.